Saturday, November 17, 2007

Death Comes Unannounced

This is the inevitable event that has occurred to a pious man who is quite well-known around the Indonesian community, especially around Tempe Mosque. How did I come to know of this tragic news?

Well, I was skimming down my msn list and there were a couple of people who had typed "innalillaahi wainna ilaihi roji'un" next to their names. The aforementioned phrase is used or said when a muslim person has died. The phrase means: "everything comes from Allah and everything will go back to Allah".

And so I clicked on this sister's nickname and asked her "who died?", she replies "Pa' Haris". I was ABSOLUTELY stunned, because I knew this man since I was a child and his wife is the most loveliest, most humble person i've ever met; we're all quite close. I couldn't believe my eyes! I had her confirm it for me, still I was in disbelief and in shock. She said that he died last night, at home, when he was leaving for the mosque. She also said that he supposedly died of a asthma attack, he's had it for a while. The police were at his house last night, apparently they want an autopsy done. I'm not sure what Islamic law is on autopsy.

Nevertheless, I can't even begin to imagine what his wife is going through at the moment. I know for sure that i'd be equally devastated, maybe even more, if I lost my husband that way.

Death is not a bad thing. It is a reminder for all of us who are still alive and healthy. The sort of reminder that forces us to reflect that there are more important things than this world; for us Muslims, there is the Hereafter to think about. Once the Angel of Death comes for our soul, that's it, there's no more second chance.

I ask Allah Almighty to forgive Pak Haris and to give his wife ease after this hardship, let all his good deeds be his bodyguards in the grave, forgive us for our sins and let this be a lesson for us all....Aamiin.

~Peace.

No comments: