Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Clinical Placement Week.

Day 1: 10/09/07

Another week of clinical, only this time I wasn't looking forward to it. The group i'm in, we've got a crap facilitator - well, she's better than nothing. Not challenging enough i'd say. But other than that the first day was good, alhamdulillah!
Oh, I got placed in Liverpool this time - last time I SWAPPED to Liverpool from Sutherland. On Monday, there were just 3 of us girls placed in 1 West; it's a general medical-surgical ward, they have almost everything. Each 3 of us were teamed up with a nurse, or two. And subhanallah, I saw my friend, who started the nursing course with me at the same time, working in the same ward; and yep, you guessed it! I teamed up with her. It kind of felt wierd in a way because we were once on the same level and now she's an RN (Registered Nurse) and i'm STILL a student.

The skills I did on Monday were of the ordinary; which are showering patients, making beds, doing observation rounds, medications.

Day 2: 11/09/07

I was a wee bit late today, because i'd normally like to arrive 15 minutes before 7am or at least 10 minutes before to familiarise myself with the patients' medications and know what they're for when I give them. It bugs me so much when i'm late to something. I'm the sort of person who likes to punctual and not hold everything or everyone up. But as it always happens, you're gonna be late to at least one event in your life.

I did a foot ulcer dressing on both heels of the feet today. It looks like
THIS PICTURE except on the heels. Yeh pretty common for diabetics. There's alot of patients in the ward with Chronic Renal Failure (CRF).
There's a lady with a really bad fungal infection on her leg; the smell of it stinks up half of the ward to the point where a fan is used to keep the smell away, but you can still smell it! Apparently she's had maggot therapy on that leg *shivers*

Ok, let's see what tomorrow brings.

~Peace.

No comments: