Tuesday, May 08, 2007

No Regrets.......

But I wish these "Fiqh of Marriage" classes existed BEFORE I got married, it would've helped ALOT! Alhamdulillah :)

Robbie signed us up for a 10-week short course about "Fiqh of Marriage", provided by Al-Ghazzali. This class involves the study of the Personal Rights and Responsibilities, i.e., the Fiqh of Marriage. The Study Circle will cover Hanafi and Shafi'i Schools of Methodology. The content will include presentation on the laws and guidance pertaining to:
- Interpersonal interaction prior to marriage and during courtship

- Cultural misconceptions affecting Islamic Principles

- The Marriage Contract

- Rights and Responsibilities of husband and wife

- Consultation, the foundation of an Islamic Marriage

- Death of a partner

- Rules of Divorce, including the Australian Law

- Rights and Responsibilities of ex-husband and ex-wife.

The person who teaches it is Br. Afroz Ali. This guy's awesome! He's very well-known around the Muslim Village forums and quite intelligent too, mashallah. I must say, after just attending one session I felt different. You can say that I felt enlightened. There was a specific area of topic which I needed confirming, just for peace of mind. According to Shafi'i or Hanafi madhab (school of thought), a female is not allowed to wear fragranced perfume and adorn herself in public, because it'll attract the attention of non-muhrim men (men she can marry), whom she passes by. As soon as I found out about that I sticked to the rule. I didn't care who it was to tell to do otherwise, right up to this moment.

I remember a time when Robbie & I were just married, I'd say about 1 month. My mother-in-law would say something to the effect of: "put some lipstick on" or "put on some make-up". I responded with silence and only told Robbie that when sisters would go out, they're prohibited to adorn themselves and put on make-up, and perfumes with fragrance. And he didn't believe me until tonight's class. So for one, I'm glad he heard the ruling from the horse's mouth.

We got home @ 10pm. On the way home I was begging to Allah that Abdurrahman would be asleep when we'd arrive. Alhamdulillah he was. Until next time y'all...

~Peace.

No comments: