Monday, August 20, 2007

Clinical Placement Week 2

Day 1

Hey all~ Assalaamu'alaikum my brothers & sisters in Islam. Alot has happened within the past week. I've been bombarded with "unpaid work" - which is my placement @ Liverpool Hospital. If only they paid us for these two weeks..............but noooooo, it's entirely for experience *rolls eyes*.

Last week was Alhamdulillah a very good week in the wards. I got the feel of the daily routine of medication rounds and I got to do an Intramuscular (IM) injection on a patient...which was awesome!! It's been years since I've done some injection. All went smoothly until I re-capped the used syringe. Nicki (our facilitator) saw what I did and her eyes popped out of her sockets! Apparently I've forgotten the rule-of-thumb that YOU NEVER RE-CAP A USED SYRINGE. Nicki said to me "I did NOT just see you do that. I could fail you for that. You have just injected a patient and by re-capping the needle you could've pricked yourself!" Now I understood why she reacted the way she did. With that I learnt my biggest lesson; and I hope she won't fail me :(

As for today, I've taken the day off to look after Abdurrahman; he spiked a fever on Saturday night and it got worse on Sunday morning - which meant that he & I had to stay put and couldn't go to my mum's place on Sunday morning. Robbie took the day off work yesterday and together we took our baby to the emergency; just in case it was the horrible influenza virus.
After getting his temperature checked, the nurse gave him a medical iceblock to increase his electrolytes and asked us for him to urinate into the specimen jar. Robbie tried but to no avail. I tried the second time. After turning on the tap for a minute or two, my hand was in the way and got some of his urine on it, lol. So I grabbed the jar and he filled it up almost full. I was like "Oh, good boy! Yay!", I was never so excited about urine before!! Lol.

After all that the Doctor concluded that it wasn't a ear, throat OR a lung infection, and that it was viral *shrugs*. But he did tell us to look out for signs of rashes on his skin, and vomiting ALONG with the fever. We were in the emergency for 3 hours. I was so happy to see my parents at the emergency afterwards. Throughout yesterday his temp. was stable but it got higher to 40 degrees C overnight. And THAT'S WHY I'm @ home looking after him instead of going to my 2nd week of clinical. Inshallah i'll be able to go tomorrow, if Allah wills.

~Peace.

No comments: